The Board is made up of 13 members including ten municipal members who must be members of Council and appointed by their respective Councils. Three members represent the unincorporated area (which is often referred to as “Territory Without Municipal Organization” or TWOMO). The three unincorporated members are elected to the Board every three years. Qualifications and Terms of Office are described within the DSSAB Act.
Qualifications of Members
Excerpts taken from the Ontario Regulation 278/98 of the District Social Services Administration Act
- A member of a board who is not a member at large and who represents one or more municipalities shall be a member of a municipal council.
- A member of a board who is not a member at large and who represents territory without municipal organization shall be a Canadian citizen who is at least 18 years of age and,
- a permanent resident of the territory without municipal organization;
- an owner or tenant of property in the territory without municipal organization; or
- the spouse of an owner or tenant of property in the territory without municipal organization
- A member of a board shall not be an employee of the board.
Term of Office of Members
- A member of a board appointed as a member at large shall hold office for a term not exceeding three years.
- The term of office of a member of a board who is not a member at large shall commence on January 1 next following the commencement of the term of office of the council that the member represents or January 1 in any subsequent year of the term of office of that council and shall not exceed three years.
- A member of a board may be re-appointed when his or her term end.
- If a member who was appointed by one or more municipalities becomes ineligible to hold office as a board member, fails to attend three consecutive board meetings without the board’s authorization, resigns or dies before the end of his or her term, the council or councils that appointed the member shall appoint a new member to serve for the remainder of the term.
- If a member of a board represents an area set out in the Schedule for that board that is comprised of territory without municipal organization and that member becomes ineligible to hold office as a board member, fails to attend three consecutive board meetings without the board’s authorization, resigns or dies before the end of his or her term the board shall appoint a new member to serve that territory for thee remainder of the term.
Chairs of Boards
- A board shall, at its first meeting after January 1 in each year, appoint one of its members as chair of the board.
- The member of the board who is appointed as chair shall serve as chair until the December 31 following the appointment and, subject to subsection (3), may be reappointed as chair for the next year.
- No member of the board shall serve as chair for more than three consecutive terms.
- If the chair resigns or dies before his or her term expires, the board shall appoint another member of the board as chair to complete the unexpired portion of the term.
Board Members (2015)