Frequently Asked Questions

Text size:
A+ A- A=

What Income Do I Have to Declare?

In a word, everything. You must declare all income whether it is money or gifts in kind, from every source. You must advise your Case Worker of all earnings, tips, vacation pay, taxable benefits, as well as all other money received from all other sources, It is always best to declare everything and let your Case Worker assess whether it is deductible income or not.

What if I am pending employment insurance?

Signing an assignment of benefits Please read this carefully If you receive Ontario Works Assistance while waiting for your Employment Insurance (EI) application to be processed, you must reimburse the Welfare agency for any money received from your EI benefits once the claim is established. To ensure Ontario Works receives assistance paid, an assignment of benefit must be completed and signed. The purpose of this process, called Assignment of Benefits, is to ensure that benefits are not paid for the same weeks by both Employment Insurance and Ontario Works.

What if I plan on leaving the Province?

Leaving the Province could affect your assistance When receiving Ontario Works financial assistance from the Province of Ontario, you must remain in Ontario. You may leave for up to seven days provided you continue to meet your job search efforts. If you are absent from Ontario for more than seven days, your cheque may be reduced. Please speak to your worker before leaving the Province

What if I am attending school?

Eligibility for assistance as a student or as a participant in a training program In order to remain eligible for assistance, you or any dependent adults must have the permission of your Case Worker to participate in a school or training program which has been approved by the Director of this department. You must submit proof or provide sufficient information to verify that you are attending. Even if you are taking a full course load, you will be required to job search. However, your Case Worker may reduce the monthly requirements. In order to be eligible for continued assistance, you must submit or meet the following requirements:
  • copy of your monthly attendance report. This is issued by the school or training program
  • attend every class. Your assistance is granted based on the fact that you are attending classes. If there are any absences at all, they must be due to a reasonable cause and must be supported by such documents and doctor’s notes/appointment cards or a letter from the teacher or counsellor. If attendance is inadequate, you will no longer be authorized to attend your course. A copy of report cards and/or progress summaries when available.
  • maintain an acceptable passing grade as specified by the school or training program
  • immediately notify your Case Worker of any changes in your circumstances. Discuss with your Case Worker any intent to withdraw from the school or training program prior to doing so.
Periodic reviews of your performance will be conducted by your Case Worker to determine whether you are achieving your potential. Consent forms allowing for the exchange of information between your school or training program and this office is mandatory. Please understand that failure to meet any of the above criteria will result in immediate ineligibility as a student and possible termination of your assistance. If you do not attend your school/training program without a valid reason and without notifying your Case Worker, you will be in non-compliance with your agreement and will no longer be authorized to attend school. If you are under the age of 18 and eligible for Ontario Works, you must attend school or an approved training program on a full time basis in order to remain eligible for ongoing assistance.

Is there support due to you from another person?

Support and paternity in Ontario Each parent has a duty to support each of his or her children. Persons of the opposite sex do not have to be married or even living together to be parents. For more information, please contact your local Ontario Works office.

Child Support

The amount each parent will be expected to contribute towards the support of a child depends upon his or her income, resources, and the needs of the child. With or without legal assistance, parents can reach an agreement between themselves as to the amount of support to be paid by one party to the other. If no agreement is possible, one or both parents can apply to the court and have a judge decide on the amount. A court order for support is automatically filed with the Family Responsibility Office (FRO), a branch of the Ministry of Attorney General. A formally prepared legal agreement for support can also be filed with the court and registered with FRO. FRO is in charge of collecting, recording, and forwarding support payments between the parties and/or other agencies, such as social assistance offices.

Adult (Spousal) Support

Under the Family Law Act, A person may have an obligation to support his or her former partner, if they were married, lived together for three years or more, or if they lived together and had a child. A person’s entitlement to adult support in these situations is conditional on the requesting person’s ability to provide for him or herself and the supporting person’s ability to provide for him or herself and the supporting person’s ability to pay. Amounts may be determined through a private agreement or through court action. Except in those cases decided through the court or through a private agreement which has been formally prepared with competent legal assistance, YOUR FAMILY SUPPORT WORKER IS CHARGED WITH THE RESPONSIBILITY OF DETERMINING THE ADEQUACY OF THE AMOUNT OF SUPPORT.

Are you requiring other services?

In the Rainy River District Services Board area, we offer some other benefits to people on social assistance. Often these benefits are subject to prior approval and are limited by budget restrictions. These benefits include:
  • emergency dental
  • optical (limited)
  • back to school allowance (eligible dependent children)
  • winter clothing allowance (eligible dependent children)
  • prescription drug coverage
  • diabetic supplies and surgical supplies
  • medical transportation
  • community start-up benefits
  • employment start-up benefits
  • guide dog allowance
  • employment related expenses (subject to approval)
  • child care costs
  • special diets and formula expenses (prescribed)
  • funeral expenses (must have prior approval)
If you require an assistive devise such as a wheelchair or prosthetic appliances, we may cover a portion of the cost. Please speak to your caseworker about the items above before proceeding with making arrangements.

Are you disabled?

If you are or become disabled, we will refer your case to the Ontario Disability Support Program for you. This is a separate agency that provides ongoing financial assistance to people with serious disabilities. If you think that you are disabled, please speak to your caseworker about a referral.

Do you require daycare for dependent children?

Subsidies May Be Available! If you require child care, please speak to your Case Worker. You may be eligible for funding for informal child care or for the licensed child care subsidy program. Rainy River District Social Services Administration Board provides subsidy for child care in a licensed centre (or home) to those who financially qualify. Subsidies can be provided to employed single or two parent families or to those who wish to access academic upgrading. Subsidies may also be available for children with special needs and socially disadvantaged children when referred by a third party. To apply for Child Care Fee Subsidy call the nearest Daycare Centre and arrange a time to meet. Child care requirements should never be a barrier to employment. Please speak to your Case Worker.