Paying Your Rent

As a tenant of Social Housing, you may either pay rent-geared-to-income or market rent for your unit. Rent is due on the first of the month. Rent can be paid at the RRDSSAB office or placed in the drop box at your building. You may provide post dated cheques for your rent.   Please ensure rent cheques are made out to your Landlord. In compliance with The Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 (RTA), landlords can evict tenants who do not pay their rent or who continue to make late payments.

What is Rent-Geared-to-Income?

Rent-geared-to-income (RGI) is assistance provided under a housing program to reduce the amount the household would otherwise pay to occupy a housing unit.

How Does RGI Work?

Tenants wishing to apply for RGI complete the housing application and provide the required documentation The Integrated Caseworker determines the tenant’s eligibility for RGI and informs the tenant of the decision regarding RGI and the tenant’s placement on the waiting list

  • At the time RGI is offered to the tenant, the Integrated Caseworker calculates the tenant’s rent based on 30% of the household’s gross monthly income
  • RGI tenants are required to report any changes in household income or composition to their Integrated Caseworker within 30 days of the change. The Integrated Caseworker will recalculate the tenant’s rent based on the reported change

Income Changes

If you are an RGI tenant, please notify your Integrated Caseworker if there is any change in your family income or any change in the number of persons living in the unit within 30 days after the change occurs. If your household fails to report changes, you may be deemed ineligible for RGI.

Annual Income Verification

At least once every 12 months you will be required to complete a review to determine your continued eligibility for RGI and for the size and type of unit that you occupy. You are required to complete the forms, provide proper verification of income and return the entire package by the due date stated on the form. Failure to return this package by the due date can result in the loss of your RGI.

Misrepresentation of Income

Failure to report changes in household income is considered “misrepresentation” and could result in the loss of your rent subsidy. Once you lose your subsidy, your rent charge will be increased to the
market rent. You may then be deemed ineligible for RGI for a period of two years.
Changes in household income can be the result of many reasons, including:

  • an increase or decrease in the number of hours worked
  • a wage increase
  • obtaining a new job or a second job
  • a change in the number of persons living in the household
  • loss of job

Internal Review of Decisions

Tenants in receipt of rent-geared-to-income are subject to the Housing Services Act, 2011 (HSA) and have the right to appeal the following decisions:

  • ineligibility for RGI
  • ineligibility for Special Needs unit
  • type of accommodation household can be accommodated in
  • category household is placed on waiting list
  • amount of RGI payable by the household
  • deferral of RGI

Send your internal review request in writing (within ten business days from the date you receive the decision letter) to:

Rainy River District Social Services Administration Board
450 Scott Street
Fort Frances, ON
P9A 1H2

Internal Review Request Form (PDF)

Market Rent

Market rent is similar to rents charged by private landlords. Once a year you may receive a Notice of Rent Increase, Form N1, from your Landlord. This form will notify you that the market rent on your unit will increase. If you are an RGI tenant, this does not affect the amount of rent you pay. The rent increase applies only to those tenants who pay market rent.  If you are paying market rent and think you might qualify for RGI, contact your Integrated Caseworker who can help you with the application process.