Your Rights When Applying For Ontario Works
If you are applying for or are eligible for Ontario Works, you have the right to:
- be told about your eligibility in writing, and
- appeal a decision about your eligibility that you do not agree with.
Your Responsibilities When Receiving Ontario Works
If you are receiving Ontario Works, you are required to:
- meet with us every 3 months to review your Participation Agreement and every 12 months to review your financial information
- take part in employment assistance activities that will help you find a job
- report any income you receive from a job, a training program or other source of income, such as Employment Insurance, pensions, etc.
- keep your receipts and statements in order to verify your income, assets and expenses. For example, keep your pay stubs, bank account statement, child care receipts, etc.
- tell us about any changes in your situation such as getting a job, opening or closing a bank account, having a baby, moving, etc.
- provide documents or information that we ask for
- obtain any other income that you are entitled to. For example, child support, Ontario Child Benefit, Employment Insurance, other tax benefits, etc.
- repay any Transition Child Benefit money you received if you get a retroactive Ontario Child Benefit and/or National Child Benefit Supplement payment that applies to the same month(s) you received the Transition Child Benefit, and
- repay any money you received that you were not entitled to.