Get Assistance with Child Care Fees

Fee Subsidy can help you with your child care fees.  It provides financial support to those who qualify to assist with the costs of licensed child care programs in the Rainy River District.  Assistance is available for parents or legal guardians of children who are between the ages of 0 – 12 years.  You may qualify for full or partial subsidy.  

Eligibility is based on your family’s income as outlined on your current Notice of Assessment (NOA) or your current Canada Child Benefit (CCB) Notice.  Assets and general expenses are not taken into account. If you have lost or misplaced your Notice of Assessment, you can contact Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281 to obtain a copy. 

How do I apply?

  1. Secure a spot for your child(ren) with a Rainy River District Social Services Administration Board contracted child care service provider
  2. Complete all sections of the application for yourself and the co-applicant where applicable.  Both applicants must sign the form.  Please note that incomplete applications will be held for 30 days.  After 30 days applicants must reapply.
  3. Mail, fax or deliver the application and all supporting documents (listed below) to the office nearest you:

Rainy River DSSAB
Attention: Children’s Services
450 Scott Street
Fort Frances, ON P9A 1H2
Fax: (807) 274-0678

Rainy River DSSAB
Attention: Children’s Services
Rawn Road Centre, P.O. Box 1300
Atikokan, ON P0T 1C0
Fax: (807) 597-1493

What do I need to include with my application?

Income Verification

Your NOA (original required; it will be returned for your records) or a copy of your CCB for the most recent tax year for both applicants. 

Employment Status

Two most recent consecutive pay stubs are required.  If you have recently started new employment and don’t have two pay stubs yet, a letter from your employer (on company letterhead) that shows your place of employment, your start date, your hours and days of work is also accepted as documentation.

Education Enrolment

Documents to confirm your enrolment including a class schedule.  Please ensure that the course/program start and end dates are included.

Special Needs

If you are not engaged in the above activities a current referral about your and/or your child(ren)’s need for child care is required from a medical doctor, agency or other registered professional that is actively working with your family.  Please contact us for a referral form.


Two of the following documents with your current address: a recent property tax, hydro, gas, water or telephone bill, driver’s license.


A copy of any current custody and/or separation agreements.


A copy of your child(ren)’s birth certificate or other form of identification; and a copy of government issued photo identification for each applicant.

Questions?  Contact us in Fort Frances at (807) 274-5349 or in Atikokan at (807) 597-1431 for assistance with the application process.

Skip to content