Delegations Brought Forward at ROMA
Fort Frances, Ontario – 2024/02/02 – The District of Rainy River Services Board (DRRSB) was represented at the 2024 Rural Ontario Municipal Association (ROMA) Conference in Toronto from January 21 to 23 by Board Chair, Debbie Ewald, members, Mike Ford and Brendan Hyatt, and CAO Dan McCormick.
With the DRRSB delivering services such as Early Learning and Child Care, Ontario Works, Community Housing, and Paramedic Services within the Rainy River District, the delegates brought forward a number of community issues and key priorities to lobby for action and/or funding in these areas.
Meetings were held with:
- Hon. Raymond Cho, Minister of Seniors and Accessibility
- Hon. Stan Cho, Minister of Long-Term Care
- Hon. Paul Calandra, Minister of Municipal Affairs & Housing
- Hon. Stephen Lecce, Minister of Education
- Robin Martin, Parliamentary Assistant to the Deputy Premier & Minister of Health, Hon. Sylvia Jones
- Charmaine Williams, Associate Minister to the Minister of Children, Community and Social Services, Hon. Michael Parsa
Key community issues and priorities lobbied for action and/or funding:
- Development of Additional Aging at Home Strategies
- Integration between Home and Community Care and Community Paramedicine Programs
- Development of Assisted Living Facilities for the District of Rainy River
- Viability of Non-profit Housing Providers
- Funding Equity for Housing Programs/Initiatives
- Capital Funding and Childcare Expansion
- Early Childhood Mentorship Program
- Recruitment & Retention of Workers
- Shelter Costs for Ontario Works Recipients
- Ontario Works (OW) and Employment Ontario (EO) Transformation
“I’m grateful we had the opportunity to engage directly with provincial officials, as this allows us to address crucial local issues, which could see swift results and a positive impact on our district. There is also a benefit being part of a rural collective voice and our requests to the province are specific and strategic,” said Ewald.
The ROMA 2024 conference provides a pivotal platform for municipal and provincial officials to unite over the distinctive challenges encountered by rural and northern municipalities. It offers a chance to highlight municipal priorities and showcase active engagement and advocacy for local needs.